Sunday, March 8, 2009

Delhi – Let the Journey Begin

Ah, Incredible India! As always, getting settled in India took some time but within the first couple of weeks I started to get into the groove. The journey through India has proven to be wonderful at times, frustrating at times and awe inspiring at times. So, fasten your seatbelt (oh, wait no seatbelts in India !)… so just hang on for a bumpy ride…

After the long plane flight from NYC my friend, Lew, and I landed in Delhi. I anticipated being met by the intense chaos of India and the screaming rickshaws drivers upon exiting the terminal. Instead, much to my delight and surprise, the Delhi airport has instituted a pre-pay taxi system to reduce the chaos. This was a huge difference compared to the jostling and pulling of two years ago and I began to wonder, has India changed?

Never fear the chaos of India still exists in all its intensity with a slight shift at the airport only! The first days of this trip were spent in Delhi seeing Sanjay Rath, a jyotish, who reads charts and Dr. Nitin, a new ayurvedic doctor. It was great to spend the afternoon with Sanjay having tea as he perused my chart…the check in with Sanjay was the perfect way to start this Indian adventure. Your chart is determined by placement of the stars and planets on the date, time and place of your birth. Then it was off to meet Dr. Nitin. Ayurvedic medicine does diagnosis by reading a patient’s pulse to determine what is out of balance in the body. Dr. Nitin read my pulse and prescribed some new herbs to keep me strong while in India. The herbs are working well, with the exception of a yucky sinus infection, I have been in good health! I was hoping that Dr. Nitin would have his pancha karma clinic up and running before I leave India so that I could do a cleanse with him before returning to the States but it looks like his clinic will be ready before I return home.

The highlight in Delhi was the morning spent at the 108 foot tall Hanuman temple. Hanuman is my favorite Hindu god. He is the monkey god and in the Vedic mythology he befriends Rama and helps to save Rama's wife Sita when she is kidnapped by the evil Ravana and taken across the ocean to Lanka. Hanuman embodies the ideas of friendship and loyalty. One of the themes of this trip has been to stop at Hanuman temples that cross my path. This temple in Delhi has been by far the greatest and the most magnificent.

No comments:

Post a Comment